Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The wonderful world of internships

To me, internship hunting is like a maze; you never really know when the end is in sight. It’s true. I’ve been internship hunting for the past 5 months (sorry if you think that’s a little excessive) and am still not even done. I’ve written countless cover letters and made numerous versions of my resume. I guess that’s the small price I pay for not knowing what I want to pursue for a career and choosing many different types of internships to apply for. I never really understood how much work applying for and internship was until I undertook the responsibility of doing so. Good thing I was fully prepared to take on the work. I must give credit where credit is due; my Capstone professor, Mr. Weaver, had the Broadcast Journalism class I was enrolled in last semester apply for a job or internship for the final. We had to construct a resume that fit the description of the job or internship and also write a cover letter to whoever was conducting the interviews. My guides from the Career Center and reviewing it with Sonni Abatta, a well known Pittsburgh news anchor for KDKA, really helped me sharpen my resume and cover letter writing skills. Sonni, who I came to know while shadowing her for a day at KDKA last year, provided great insight as to what I should include and omit when writing the perfect resume and cover letter. She has been through the whole process (she started as an intern at KDKA in 2001) and was even able to help me with applying to the KDKA TV, Sports, and Marketing Department internships. I’m slowly coming to realize that networking and connections are key in any field. Her help is much appreciated by a broadcast student continuing to learn and I will continue to welcome it with open arms as long as she is willing to provide it. In addition to KDKA, I have also looked at WTAE in Pittsburgh, every Clear Channel radio station in the city, KDKA News Radio 1020, and ESPN Radio 1250. Many of these are news oriented; however, many also include marketing and advertising in their internship listings, so in that case, I applied for both news and marketing/advertising. I figure it couldn’t hurt; I’m essentially doubling my chances for getting an internship with any of these media outlets. There are also some strictly marketing/advertising internships I am applying for. The Pittsburgh Steelers/Heinz Field, Heinz Corporation, Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh, Giant Eagle/Market District Corporate, American Eagle Outfitters Corporate, Highmark Insurance, Dick’s Sporting Goods Corporate, PNC Bank, and Forest City Enterprises are corporate enterprises that offer marketing/advertising internships that I feel could benefit me not matter what I choose for a career. I also tried looking at local high schools and colleges/universities for an athletic director internship, but I did not find any available for the summer. I’m beginning to think that I will be fine with all these that I have applied for so far. This whole process has made me very aware of how applying for a job will be in the very near future. I’m still a little nervous for that, but glad that applying for this many internships will help me transition. I’m glad that I will be able use what I learn from whatever internship I receive as a spectacular reference for when I do apply for a job. At least I will be fully prepared when that time comes.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

In a way you've become an expert in the process. Will it be okay if I call on you in class if folks have questions about the hunt for an internship as I think your approach may serve as a model.