Sunday, April 20, 2008

Entering the world of the E-portfolio

This week I, along with the rest of the Capstone class, had the opportunity to visit the career center to work on our portfolio building skills.  This made me a bit anxious, since the only experience I have with portfolio building is creating my resume and some air check tapes.  Much to my surprise, the informational meeting with Career Center Director, Jackie Meade, and Assistant Director, Kati Edmiston, worked much to my benefit.  Jackie explained the importance of building a professional portfolio and what to include in it.  She talked at length with the class about what the difficult aspects of broadcasting are for each of us.  Many of us commented on the deadlines and how that could possibly the most difficult part of being in broadcasting.  Others mentioned working odd hours and being on call, while some others mentioned coming up with fresh story ideas.  Jackie explained that in there will always be difficulties, no matter what career we choose to pursue, but if we work on those difficulties now we will better handle them when we enter the professional world.

After speaking with Jackie, Kati Edmiston took us into the workroom of the Career Center to show us, first hand, what an E-portfolio looks like.  She featured many examples, especially ones regarding broadcasting.  Going through the set up process for an E-portfolio was particularly easy.  Kati explained we could set our up on PowerPoint and format it anyway we wanted.  The examples she provided were filled with all the information a potential employer could want, as well as colorful and artist design to easily catch someone’s eye.  She showed us how to link our resume, cover letters, demo tapes, and other examples of our work within the E-portfolio.  After showing us how to set up the E-portfolio, I felt much better about creating it.  I’m not entirely technologically savvy, so when I heard about this E-portfolio business, need less to say, I was skeptical about doing it.  Kati’s instructions and tips really helped me and made me look at the E-portfolio in a whole new way; she even provided a help sheet with the full instructions and some of her own tips to the class.  I believe her presentation was helpful for the entire class, especially with us getting ready to begin our internships for the summer and having time to start our E-portfolios before our final semester of Capstone starts up this coming fall.  Overall, the trip to the Career Center is exactly what I needed to cure my fears of making an E-portfolio.  I learned many valuable tips from both Kati and Jackie and will be putting them to use in the very near future as I continue developing my Capstone project and, consequently, when I matriculate into the professional world. 

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I'm sending the link to your blog to the Career Center. I think they would like to read your entry.