Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Capstone proposal: A touchdown in the making?

I had an interesting, yet extremely busy week. Scheduling my classes brought me to the realization, once again, that my time is quickly dwindling here at WC. Trying to accomplish all my work with my upper level Spanish course, combined Psychology and History cluster course, Digital Photography, all on top of Capstone, is extremely difficult. The good news is I’m making progress with all my other classes, in order to focus more on Capstone. I actually had a breakthrough this week with my project. First, I have to say, I was a little shaky on what I actually wanted to do for my project, but after thinking it over and some guidance from a few minds in the Broadcast Department, I came to reach a pretty solid decision. I narrowed my project down to working with the football team, since I must present my project before next semester is over. I was informed that the assistant coaches of the Titan football team produce a compilation video of highlights from the entire season to present to the players at their banquet in January. I found this especially interesting, so I thought I would contact Coach Jeff Hand, the head coach. It didn’t take me long to find him, since he was helping out at registration. I spoke with him about the possibility of undertaking the production of the highlight tape, while the assistant coaches would tell me which plays and other highlights they would want to be shown on it. He agreed and thought it would be a fantastic idea. He was really excited that someone wanted to base their project around the football team. I also mentioned my other idea to him, regarding promoting every Titan football game as well as Westminster Cable Network and Titan Radio where the games would be broadcasted. He told me that promoting the football team could potentially attract many more students and community residents to the games, as well as boost WCN viewers and Titan Radio’s listeners. I plan on staying in close contact with Coach Hand for the remainder of the semester, especially over the next two weeks leading up to my project proposal for the department. Coach seemed like he had a ton of great suggestions for my project. I really look forward to working with him in the near future. I’m thinking now that I’m on track with my Capstone, I can actually begin to plan it out. I will keep in contact with Coach Hand and begin my poster design for promoting the team, WCN, and Titan Radio over the summer. Being that I only live an hour from campus, I could drive up one day to go over the design with Coach Hand and his assistants and anyone in the Broadcast Department if they happen to be on campus. I’m planning on editing highlights for Coach’s Corner this fall and using those highlights in the video for my project. I will be able to put the film together, once the season is over in early November. Until then, this summer is going to give me a prime opportunity to adequately plan my project and how things will go next semester. Keeping in contact with Coach Hand and Mr. Weaver, my Capstone professor, will keep my planning moving right along. I have to move fast, though. Time is already flying, with the semester just about over, I’m almost finished here. This is the final hurdle I’m going to have to jump and it seems to me, I’m already off to a dashing start.

No comments: