Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tripping, but never falling

Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and keep going. You may stumble and of course it's never easy, but we all have doo it at some point or another. For me, Monday proved to be that day when I stumbled.

I’d be having some second thoughts about my interviews for my Capstone project for a few days and finally came to the logical conclusion that I should consult my adviser, Mr. Weaver. I knew he would have some insightful words and even some criticism, which I needed being that my presentation date is looming in the distance. Looking at the interviews more, I knew they were not up to, not just my standards, but broadcast standards in general. I tried to be creative with a shot of the player standing in front of the grandstands and the “Westminster” board in the background. My attempt at creativity was foiled when I knew I left far too much headroom was left from the subject’s head to the top of the shot

I feared the worst and got it. Mr. Weaver confirmed that the interviews were not of good broadcast standards and I should reshoot them. Naturally, I panicked and cried (yes, I cry sometimes), fearing I would not be able to finish everything in time. I quickly collected myself and headed down to the athletic office to reschedule the interviews with some of the players and coaches I had originally interviewed. Thankfully, they were more than willing to help me out and we settled to reshoot the interviews on Tuesday all right in a row.

All went well and here I am, nearly 72 hours removed from the whole ordeal, realizing this has proven to be a blessing in disguise of sorts. I have edited for hours on end the past two days and am slowly reaching the end of my Capstone process.

In retrospect, after originally conducting 10 interviews (12 including coaches), I am extremely pleased with the six (four players, two coaches) interviews I did. I guess the saying’s true then; it really is quality over quantity in most instances. My brief, 30 second interviews with the players and coaches produced a wealth of information and a professional setting from the TV studio, making my Capstone look professional and more eye catching.

I’m now moving with great progress and really think that, though Monday seemed like the end of the world, it was just there to remind me that I can always produce better work and there is always room for improvement, large or small. You always need to look at the glass as half full. It really helped me this week.

As I move into the final phases of editing my last two interviews and taking care of small items and details in my project, I realize that this project is really bringing out the best in me. It’s challenging me and I’m actually enjoying it. It’s making me produce my absolute best work possible, not just for a grade, but for the football program who will use it when recruits come to visit in a couple short weeks.

As my presentation date draws nearer, I know that I am capable of creating and showing a polished, professional and enticing piece of work to the football coaches and players, my fellow professors and classmates, as well as my family and closest friends. I’m really looking forward to Monday in hopes that my project will be a complete and final display of my entire work in the broadcast communications department at Westminster College.

No comments: