Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Hunt Continues: Part II

I have a feeling that for the next few weeks I’ll continue to blog about my ongoing internship hunt. After all, it’s still going to be a few more weeks until everything is all wrapped up and I have decided where I wish to complete my internship.
On Monday I interviewed at a local TV station for three separate departments. It was quite an intimidating setting, in that there were about 70 people there all interviewing for 14 separate departments. It was reassuring to talk with other people from different schools about where they were planning to interview and what their aspirations are. I even saw some old friends from grade school at the interview and catching up with them between interviews was really nice.
The day was particularly long, starting at 10 in the morning and continuing through 2 in the afternoon. The interviews were out in the open and you were called completely at random for whichever three you chose. The waiting was what made me the most nervous. I had at least a 40 minute wait between interviews. The first two I had for marketing/special events and commercial production went fine, but were unusually quick. In a way, I guess they had to be quick with the amount of people there wanting interviews. My final interview with the sports department was my best. I actually interviewed with one of their on air sports talents. The actual interview was a total no pressure situation. No grilling questions, no questioning my resume or activities at school…He just wanted to know what I enjoyed about Westminster and my activities there. The rest of the interview was talking sports. He inquired as to what I knew about sports, what I enjoyed about them, and how I felt I could contribute my love for them to their department. It was the first time in an interview where I felt I could speak without a great amount of pressure and stress weighing on me. In that aspect, I have a very good feeling about that interview. And after careful consideration, I think I may want to jump on that opportunity, if given the chance to intern there. I’m actually hoping for that chance.
In some brief other news, I was offered an internship at another local news station with their marketing department. I am thinking I want to wait to hear from the two other places I interviewed before I give them a definite answer. It was exciting, though, to get the phone call and hear someone say that they think I can excel at their company. The woman really wanted a “yes” when she contacted me on Friday, but I thought it best to take the weekend to think about my decision and weigh the other options. I’ve taken most of this weekend to think about my options and where I really want to end up. I’m still contemplating, but I’m sure by the end of tomorrow, when I have to contact the other station, I will know exactly where I want to intern. Until then, I have the rest of the day to think.

2 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Always weigh your options. I'm not a big fan of jumping at the first offer when you have others on the table.

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

So now you have an offer from KDKA? What will you do?