Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Internship Hunt...finally over?

It’s really unbelievable to think that this semester is already half over. Even harder to fathom is that my internship search is winding down. I know I’ve been talking about it for far too long at this point, but it’s quite a relief to know that I have a mock interview and a real one under my belt and a few more on the way to muster through. Last Friday, I scheduled a mock interview at the Career Center, in order to prepare for the upcoming interviews I have. I was actually really nervous getting ready to head over there that morning. I felt like it was going to be an actual interview that would be taken into account for a job. I made sure to be adequately prepared: resume cover letter, letters of recommendation, transcripts and all. I also made sure I was dressed properly. It’s such an oversight sometimes, but you really have to be careful about how you look when entering a workplace. I went with a nice professional pants suit. I went over my answers to the questions that I thought were most likely to be asked. I did everything necessary to prepare, despite the fact that it was not an actual interview for an internship.
Upon my arrival, the director of the Career Center greeted me as if she was my interviewer. We went through questions, some of which were pretty difficult to answer quickly. I did my best to answer without stumbling over words or saying too many “likes” or “umms”. Making proper eye contact was the most difficult thing for me to do. I always have a tendency to look away or let my eyes wander around a room while talking, but in this interview I was able to stay focused and keep solid eye contact with my interviewer. Overall, it was a fantastic experience. I was able to focus and answer all the questions with solid answers. I was finally able to make my debut at a real interview.
Last Tuesday, I interviewed with the marketing/advertising department at a local television station in Pittsburgh. The woman that I interviewed with was the head of the department, so she was, understandably, busy. To be honest, her questions were very tough. She wanted to know basically everything about me. Unlike the mock interview, she asked nothing about what I knew about the station and its history. She focused on the internship itself and the departments I would be working with. I must admit, it was difficult answering her questions, since I was in the actual interview. I realized about two questions into the interview that this was the real deal: I was applying for an internship and had to prove what I have is worth her hiring me. Overall, the interview went well. I was nervous with her being extremely busy, but I managed to pull through. I had survived my first interview.
Now comes the rest. I have four more interviews coming up within the next three weeks. I know now what to expect. I know how to keep myself calm during interviews. I know how to stay focused and on the right track. The career center proved to be a great practice tool to zero in on my skills or any problems I might have had. I know now that I will be totally prepared and ready to answer the toughest of questions in order to obtain that dream internship I have wanted all along.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You made my BLOG-O-RAMA report this week.