Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Search Ends: KDKA it is!

So, spring break is coming to a quick close and it feels like I never even got to unpack. Wait a minute, I was so busy, I didn’t even get to unpack. I still had interviews to complete for a few internship opportunities. I had three interviews this past week. All of them went extremely well, but none really appealed to me like the three others I had done previous to the break. I took time after all the interviews were completed on Thursday to review each and everyone I had done. It was shaping up to be quite a decision. With the many excellent and reputable places I had interviewed at, I had a ton to think about. I had barely had half a day to think, when I received my acceptance to the Sports Department internship at KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh. As soon as I opened the letter, it felt like the best thing to do. I knew it would be the best opportunity out of all the interviews I had attended. This internship could not be better. I have long wished to work for KDKA and now I will get my chance in the department that is my forte!
On a grand scale, this whole internship search was a ton of work, but it has really paid off. I interviewed at numerous places with different areas of work. Through the experience I verified that I wished to actively pursue my dream of interning at KDKA, while also taking time to weight the other possibilities. I looked at it this way: KDKA was my best interview. The person who interviewed me really cared what I had to say and really enjoyed the interview as well; it just didn’t seem like a mundane thing to him. KDKA was also, I felt, the most reputable; they are well respected and some of the best professionals out there. The final, and most important reason, was that it just felt right. When I opened the letter and saw that I had been accepted, I felt like a kid on Christmas. I knew, with a reaction like that, it was my calling, so to speak. Now comes the real task: the internship! I spoke with my supervisor and have my start date finalized. He also was extremely helpful in detailing what I would be doing as one of their two interns. It seems there will be equal time in and out of the station, from assisting their on air talents with scripts to heading out into the field with the crew. I honestly couldn’t think of anything better! I’m really starting to think that this could be the experience of a lifetime and I’m pretty sure I could be right.

No comments: