Thursday, October 9, 2008

Someone to admire

When I look back at my time at Westminster, I know I could not have accomplished as much as I have if it weren’t for some professors and a few older student mentors. I’ve recently blogged about a couple professors I admire and who have helped me, but now it’s time to put the focus on someone who I’ve continually looked up to for many years now.
I met Jordan Hinds in grade school at Holy Trinity. I was good friends with his sister, Haley, and their family lived right down the street from us. Jordan has been a shining example of strength, hope, courage, and unfailing work ethic. I watched him go through many medical issues throughout his childhood and teenage years. Though Jordan overcame some serious obstacles, he always remained positive. I remained friends with Haley throughout our time in high school and watched Jordan graduate in 2002 and ultimately go onto Westminster. When the time came for me to apply to college, Jordan’s family encouraged me to visit Westminster. When I arrived on campus Jordan was one of the first to greet me and also one of the first to help me in the broadcasting department. As a broadcasting minor, Jordan helped me out when he was around the station with little things for my jock shift.
Jordan’s work ethic was an example I made sure to follow. As a speech communications major with a double minor in broadcasting and public relations, Jordan was always busy and working to his potential. I recall enjoying listening to his radio shows he had on Titan Radio and talking with him on almost a daily basis my freshman year. He was always good for advice on what to do for my breaks in between songs during my radio shifts.
Jordan’s professionalism is something I would like to emulate as I leave Westminster and enter the real world. He remains involved with causes such as the Darfur Emergency Coalition and the ONE Campaign, both causes committed to helping other people. He has remained extremely dedicated to these issues and to advancing their causes. Jordan has always maintained a positive and driven demeanor in his personal and professional life. It’s really no wonder that so many people who have come into contact with Jordan look up to him and consider him their role model. In all my years of knowing Jordan, from grade school to now, he has been dedicated to whatever challenge is facing him and to furthering his professional life by working for these causes. Jordan has and always will be someone I really look up to in a professional and personal sense. His unfailing dedication to hold down a major, two minors, and running cross country, in addition to his other activities, is a shining example of someone who strives for the best. I hope to continue to model my professionalism and personal outlook to that of Jordan’s.

No comments: