Thursday, October 30, 2008

A challenge to face

Over the past four years, I’ve genuinely enjoyed all of my broadcasting classes; however, there is one class that, despite my enjoyment, was extremely difficult. broadcast journalism, or simply BC 311 to students, was quite a bridge to cross for me. It wasn’t so much the difficulty, but really the work and extreme effort that needed to be put forth. Broadcast journalism forced me to strive for perfection in my newscasts before they were aired. Week after week, I found it challenging to collect sound bites or to form stories around the sound bites I already had. Attending the New Wilmington Borough meetings was a great help. There was always a story going on there and borough council members were always willing to speak on the record after the meetings. Most of the time, they gave great information that could really enhance a story.
Weekly deadlines for ACTs and WRAPs really put the pressure on me. When there were weeks when the news around the area was slow, I struggled and really went hunting for things or looked for updates on a previous story of great importance. The other issue was people not wanting to talk or refusing to comment over the phone. Hospital employees and police stations were some places where comments and sound bites were hard to come by. That was another difficult issue, because when a big story broke, especially an accident or fire, sometimes police or other emergency authorities could not comment on the situation or victims involved. It was a struggle to call them sometimes repeatedly in a newscast, but when you need information it became a necessary component when I was in the newsroom.
Things eventually got easier. I began preparing earlier and more often before my newscasts. I even made breakthroughs with the emergency agencies, which began to realize my persistence and would disclose information once it became available. My stories became stronger as the semester progressed, through hard work within class and having my peers along with Prof. Weaver read and revise each of my stories. The red marks on my stories decreased and I became more confident when seeking out stories. Borough stories became more vital to campus and the borough itself, such as the construction on Maple St. and the eventual elimination of some parking along that same street. I made sure my bites were concise, but to the point, and involved the most important people tied to that story.
Since completing broadcast journalism, I have kept all of my air checks from each newscast as well as a copy of many of my scripts. I’ve been able to help younger students in the major with their newscasts, in addition to their EP. The stories I wrote for broadcast journalism helped me overall with my writing and my confidence in asking and calling for sound bites. It also challenged me to go after the hard and sometimes controversial stories. It also helped me when I had to call for stories in the sports department this summer at KDKA. While I wasn’t collecting sound bites, many times we needed a comment from a coach or athlete regarding a story or situation. I made the calls and without hesitation. I knew my experience from broadcast journalism had prepared me for this. This experience will help when I enter the professional world, whether in news or in another career. I will be creating stories and need to use what I learned to create an exceptional piece of work.
Professionally, broadcast journalism was a wake up call. It forced me to act even more professional than I ever had before. I’m actually very thankful for this class. It forced me to work my absolute hardest, please my executive producer as well as my peers and professor, and make my stories interesting and informative, while also being easy to listen to and read. Since broadcast journalism, I’ve taken my new work ethic and ability to write concise and radio worthy stories, along with new found confidence in seeking out news worthy stories and making calls for exceptional sound bites. It was a challenging class, but in the end became the most helpful. Through all my hard work, I believe I can effectively craft news stories and all the challenges that go along with it.

No comments: