Thursday, October 16, 2008

Someone to look up to in broadcasting

There are several alums within the broadcast department here at Westminster that have helped me adjust over the past 3 years. While all of them helped me in their own way, one person stands out amongst the rest. Mike Wolenski was a great help when I became involved in broadcasting. From the time I took on my first jock shift, Mike was around to show me how to operate the board and teach me about doing a good talk break and how to lead into songs effectively. It was a great help to have someone who knew what they were doing helping me making each shift better. At the time, Mike had a busy schedule and was in the radio station constantly. I know there were probably days where he had a ton to do, but still stayed to help me get adjusted to the station. Mike was always very understanding and great with explaining how to operate everything. He always make sure that I had a good grasp on what I was doing and if I needed any other help. Best of all, Mike was personable. I could comfortably ask him for help, even if it was something really insignificant that I forgot to do. Mike used his Titan Radio expertise to give us tips and tricks on how to improve our presentation on the radio. He was also around when I transitioned into radio news. Though another BC major was my executive producer, Mike was always there for extra help. It was reassuring to have someone around who was as helpful as Mike. Because of him I was able to have great talk breaks for my air check tapes and to be creative during these breaks and when I introduced songs with long intros. Mike was also someone who was really driven and always working hard. He really provided a great example to follow for the students that he helped.

No comments: